Locking tuners for the win?
Locking tuners for the win?
Probably it isn't the biggest upgrade on a guitar, especially on one that is equipped with a Licensed Floyd Rose system, with locking nuts, but I still felt that it can be an improvement. It may help to avoid theoretical string slippage when changing tunings, and to be honest, I felt that it can make the guitar feel a bit more "premium".
I did not want to spend a fortune on a questionable upgrade, therefore, I have ordered the cheapest option, directly from China. I think I have received what I have paid for. Properly functioning tuners with very minor aesthetic issues. Good enough, I would say, not perfect, but I can accept it.
The locking mechanism seems to be perfect. Even though I did not restring the guitar, I made some checks, probably some fairly aggressive checks, with a piece of guitar string. It locked it perfectly in place. The only thing I could highlight on the negative side (besides some scratches) is that it has some play in that aspect, it isn't better than the previous set, unfortunately.
The used set is a noname, probably Miwayer tuner set.
I prefer Camembert over "finger cheese"
Once I have finished the great work with the tuners, I noticed that there is probably something else I could quickly fix up. The fretboard was dirty, and I couldn't just wipe that off, it was really dirty. After a short investigation, I figured out that it must be the so-called "finger cheese".
There are many suggestions here and there about how it could be properly removed, like using a very sharp razor blade or a plastic card. I made an attempt with both, and it seemed slow and a bit risky to me. Then I started to think if I have anything else that might be usable to remove that ugly dirt. I bought some "no-scratch" sponge to clean my 3D printer's plate, it might be handy there as well. Indeed, it helped, it worked, and to be honest, I was happy with the result. It was fast, I couldn't really see new scratches, or maybe at one point, where I had probably scrubbed that too hard. After all, I was satisfied with the result.
What comes next?
I'll provide an update regarding the tuners once the strings are back. I'm really curious about the tuning experience and their stability under tension.
Besides that, the work goes on. I have already completed the probably most interesting part, the fret work.
Stay tuned, there is more to come, this time soon. ;)


.png)
Comments
Post a Comment